A pregnant pause & a pattern dilemma

So... that was awkward.

The last time I was here, I was signing up for Me Made May, and referring to partially finished garments, and promising to be back soon after my tropical holiday. And here I am, months later, with not so much as a single stitch to show for my absence.

You'll have to forgive me. My creative energies were otherwise occupied.

We're thrilled about this much hoped for but still unexpected turn of events. The cat seems rather less certain about this new development.

Turns out growing a human being is pretty tiring work. At least it was for me in those first few months. The very idea of trying to chase the moving target of my ever-evolving shape was too exhausting to bear. And oh boy, my shape started evolving much more quickly than the books told me it would. Or at least, my wardrobe took a hit much sooner than I might have expected. Although, in retrospect, it makes sense. As a short-torsoed gal, my waist was the first thing to go. And as a short-torsoed gal, I've tended to wear garments that are specifically constructed to nip in and define my largely non-existent waist. One of the things no one tells you about early pregnancy (probably because no one likes to talk about their gut function needlessly) is that bloating becomes some sort of Olympic sport. I mean, well before I had any kind of bump related to the baby my belly would swell by inches by the end of every day. So a pencil skirt that I'd happily fit into first thing in the morning would have me tearing it from my poor, constricted body in desperate relief by the time I got home in the evening. Right now, comfort is everything, so that nonsense had to stop. Still, sad times putting those bad boys into storage. I sure do miss them.

(Incidentally, who are these people who squeeze themselves into their normal clothes until the third trimester and WHY DO THEY SO TORMENT THEMSELVES?! I will never understand.)





Anyway. Initially, I threw money at the problem by going shopping. But after spending way too much money posting returns I've decided that, for now at least, so-called maternity clothing is just not my bag. Thankfully, I found my sewjo this week in the clearance basement at Misan Textiles, and armed with some metres of jersey gorgeousness I'm hoping to get back in the saddle of my sewing machine, so to speak.




So, this is the part where I beg for your help please! Where are the good maternity patterns? Or patterns that aren't maternity but could be adapted without too much headache? I'm already thinking the Wiksten tank and Scout tee made up in knit fabric would be ace, as my woven versions have done a stellar job of fitting me well enough so far, despite the rather stupendous blossoming of my boobs. And I'm hoping I can hack a Hemlock dress, and perhaps slightly adapt the Sloppy Josephine tee and Blair Batwing shirt patterns, which I already own. So Zo's maternity jersey top hack will do brilliantly for adapting tops later on, and DIY Maternity seems to have some useful ideas, but what else? I've seen the Megan Nielsen maternity patterns, but the selections offered by the larger pattern companies look as abysmal as the selection of maternity wear out in the shops. I'd love things with interesting design lines, like the (non-maternity but oh so suitable) dress from Cos (above top), which I totally bought and will rock the hell out of as soon as the temperature dips a bit. Maybe I just need to invent my own interesting highlights on basic designs? Like this bit of draping across the simple t-shirt dress from & Other Stories? (Also bought. I told you I threw money at the problem.) Is this sort of thing hard? I still feel like such a sewing novice that playing around with patterns in this way makes me feel very nervous.

Do help a pregnant girl out. And if you know of any sewing blogs featuring maternity wear, please do send their links my way. My poorly dressed bump thanks you in advance. 

14 comments:

  1. Congratulations again!!!! So exciting! I remember that Kelli at True Bias looked super cute during her pregnancy- I bet she's got some good inspiration on her blog! One of my favorite dress patterns, M6553, totally works for maternity (is it weird that how I normally dress doubles as maternity wear? let's not dwell on that). It's got tons of volume but looks really interesting and fun. My sister really liked the Megan Nielsen designs that I made for her, too. And maybe Ebony H's Scout tee hack?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh True Bias! Thank you! I love her stuff normally, so I'll give her archives a trawl. And Ebony H's Scout hack is gorgeous! I'll definitely give that a go. Also, your M6553 *is* totally cute. thank you! You're a wealth of information! :) xx

      Delete
  2. Oh wow, congratulations, how exciting! I can't help you with maternity patterns, although I can vouch for Megan Nielson's patterns in general - I love them (and not just because one of them shares my name!). I can however offer you an incredibly cute baby dungaree pattern, for when your little human makes its way into the world :) when are you due? And WHEN are we going to hang out?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. p.s. I have also had a bit of a blogging (even reading blogs/twitter,instagram) hiatus, so I completely missed your earlier announcement, and I don't even have growing a small human as an excuse! p.p.s. I am soooo excited and happy for you!

      Delete
    2. Thank you! And yes please to the dungaree pattern! I'm due in January, so have a bit of time to get ready still. And yes to hanging out! Soon, now that I'm feeling more human again. :) And you didn't miss much - I only just announced it yesterday. Keeping quiet about it has been killing me.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations. Maybe look at some drape drape patterns - dress number 6 in drape drape 2 is on my (non pregnant) list and you could hide a whole lotta bebe under that cowl.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DRAPE DRAPE! That is PERFECT - thank you so much! I'll snaffle some copies immediately and see how I get on.

      Delete
    2. You're welcome! I'm dying to get them too. Also check out Style Arc patterns, they're a very RTW style, and fantastically drafted, and have a small maternity range :)

      Delete
  4. Big congratulations to you and your husband! I second the Drape Drape idea mentioned above. Book 2, number 2 might work. Or this Burda maybe? burda 7320 http://www.habithat.co.uk/images/Burda7320.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so late in replying, but thank you! I got Drape Drape and fully intend to sew some sexiness from it when I'm done being pregnant. (Or easy access to the boob nursing clothes - there seems to be a fair bit of that in there, inadvertent or not!)

      Delete
  5. Congratulations!! I wore my scout tees & Kirsten kimono tees through most if my oregnancy as they continued to fit over my expanding belly. I also used the tiny pocket tank pattern to make a jersey maxi dress which I wore loads - I just extended it down & out at a decent width so I could walk in it. I've got the Megan Nielson pina dress pattern which I'd be happy to loan you - i never got round to using it. Enjoy maternity sewing, and it hope that you feel better & enjoy the rest of your pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind offer! I'm sorry I didn't take you up on it, but I ended sewing nothing at all this entire pregnancy. Maybe next time... ;)

      Delete
  6. What fantastic news - a massive congrats! Good luck with the pregnancy sewing!

    ReplyDelete

 

Who, me?

Who, me?
Hi, I'm Ellebougies. I'm brand new to this sewing lark, but boy am I ENTHUSIASTIC. I also enjoy knitting things. One day I'll stop whinging about the weather.

Work in progress

Work in progress

Pinteresting